How to Hire A Magento 2 Developer – The Complete Guide
Magento is an open-source platform that is used by ecommerce businesses globally. As of 2021, Magento powers 12% of all online retail stores, that is 1.2% of the whole internet.
And it’s not just the popularity that drives more businesses to the platform. Merchants that use Magento grow three times faster than their peers that don’t (on average). That’s because Magento is powerful enough to cater to all your needs, is SEO-friendly, has better loading times, and can be customized as per your requirements.
However, to create a fully functional Magento store, you need to hire proficient Magento 2 developers, which is challenging. There are various things you need to consider, such as their skills, expertise, and knowledge.
To make things easier for you, we have created this guide that covers everything you need to find the right Magento developer for you. Let’s get started!
1. Define Your Project Requirements
The first and most important step to hiring the right Magento 2 developer is analyzing your project requirements. This will help you find better candidates and eliminate any potential issues down the line.
Make sure to include both technical requirements, timeline, and your budget in brief. This will also enable potential candidates to create a more tailored proposal for your business.
Here are some of the things that you should include in your project brief:
- Goals and objectives: Define what you want to achieve with your Magento 2 website. For example, do you want to increase sales, improve brand awareness, or build a loyal following?
- Project timeline: Determine how soon you want the website to be built. Depending on its complexity, it could take a few weeks to over two months to develop the website.
- Engagement model: It consists of several steps that go hand in hand with successful Magento 2 website development. The steps include creating operate transfer, virtual development lab, dedicated development center, and hybrid model.
- Slandered response time: It ensures data packets are sent quickly to the end-user very quickly. For starters, it is crucial to have a 100ms TTFB on your server, which is ideal for running an ecommerce website.
Also, decide whether you need a front-end developer, a back-end developer, or a full-stack developer.
- Front-end developer: will be responsible for making your website look prettier, design its layout and navigation.
- Back-end developer: will be responsible for developing the server-side logic, maintaining your database, and handling the key operations (e.g., customers orders).
- Full-stack developer: They excel in both front-end and back-end Magento development.
2. Decide If You Need Dedicated or Part-time Developer
Once you have created a brief for your project requirement, it’s time to determine whether you need a dedicated or a part-time developer. This will help set a realistic budget and the deadline for your requirement.
We recommend hiring a dedicated Magento developer as you will get complete attention, which, in turn, will ensure better results. Plus, they will deliver your project faster than part-time developers.
3. Decide Between Freelancers and Agencies
If you have a small business and want a decent website, a freelancer could easily handle your requirements. However, if you have a large ecommerce store, it is advisable to hire an agency.
Here are some advantages of hiring a freelancer for Magento 2 development.
- Low cost
- Access to top-tier talent (with no geographic limitation)
- Flexible work hours, which means they might even work on weekends (improving delivery time).
- With a single person working on the project, decisions are quick and intuitive.
Disadvantages of hiring a freelancer:
- Could ghost you in the middle of the project.
- Communication could be an issue.
- Though having the necessary qualifications/certifications, they might not be skilled in all the aspects of Magento 2 development.
- Tracking the time invested by the freelancer is not possible, so you won’t know how dedicated they are.
Advantages of hiring a Magento 2 development agency:
- Several experts will be working on your project. This will ensure your project will look more professional.
- Software development agencies will never abandon your project in the middle.
- You will get ongoing support for your Magento 2 website, which is great in the long run.
- Turnaround time will be less as compared to freelancers.
- You will get a dedicated manager who will provide continuous updates about the project. You can even discuss changes and ideas to enhance your project.
Disadvantages of hiring a Magento 2 development agency:
- Higher costs than freelancers.
Overall, Magento 2 development agency is any day better than freelancers. However, if you have a limited budget, you can hire a freelancer to get the work done.
4. Set Your Budget
Now that you have decided between freelancers and agencies, it’s time to set your budget. As mentioned above, both charge differently, so set your budget accordingly. It doesn’t mean having an exact amount in mind. Instead, keep an estimate in mind and be flexible with it.
There are several factors to consider. For instance, if you hire a certified Magento developer, they will likely charge more than those who don’t have the necessary certificate. The same goes for agencies.
The chances are you can hire a Magento 2 developer on any budget. However, don’t forget that you will get what you pay for.
5. Check Reviews, Ratings, and Testimonials
Social proof is crucial before hiring a Magento 2 developer. This will help you understand what other people say about their services and skills.
Look for reviews and ratings to get an idea of what you can expect from them when you start working together. Testimonials are also necessary as it highlights the key experience of the client with the developer.
Apart from the developer’s website, check their ratings and reviews on third-party websites to get an unbiased view.
6. Review their Portfolio
You need to check their past work to determine if they are the right fit for your requirements. Usually, an experienced developer would have several projects in their portfolio.
A portfolio shows their skills and working procedure. In other words, a portfolio helps you analyze:
- The number of projects they have completed.
- Their experience in Magento 2 development.
- Proficiency with the platform.
- Frameworks they use to develop the project.
7. Ask the Right Questions
Now that you have shortlisted a few potential developers/agencies based on the reviews, ratings, and portfolio, it’s time to interview them. Here are some questions to help you get started:
- What is your experience in Magento 2?
- Which areas do you specialize in?
- What tools do you use while working on Magento 2 projects?
- Have you worked on similar projects?
- What was your biggest challenge in Magento 2 development, and how did you solve it?
- How do you test the project for bugs and glitches?
- Do you have SEO experience?
Also, let them ask any questions so they can get a better understanding of your requirements.
8. Test With a Paid Project
Lastly, test them with a pilot project to find how suitable they are for your business. This will prevent any potential losses due to hiring the wrong guy. A pilot project will also help understand how dedicated they are.
The best way to get the most out of your pilot project is by dividing your requirement into different phases. Then, give them the first phase to work on. And then pick the one you think is best for your project.
Skills to Look for In a Magento 2 Developer
- Certification: Hiring a Magento 2 certified developer increases your chances of getting a well-built project.
- Customized CMS development skills: They should know how to develop custom themes, build tailored modules, and customize your store as required.
- Extension integration: Integrations help improve your ecommerce store’s functionality without putting too much load on your server. Your Magento 2 developer should be able to integrate several extensions.
- Database knowledge: The knowledge of the database is crucial as this is where most of the back-end operations happen (storage of information, managing, and processing it).
Hiring a Magento 2 developer isn’t easy. You need to follow each step carefully to ensure you don’t lose resources (time and money) and quickly deliver the project. If you are still looking for a Magento 2 developer, we’re here to help.
We have been developing Magento websites for years now. Our experts can help you build a Magento 2 store precisely the way you want without burning a hole in your pocket.
What are you waiting for? Contact us today!